Can I Recycle My Real Christmas Tree?

The gifts have been exchanged, the turkey consumed and the movie marathon is over. While you might not want to accept the end of Christmas quite yet, it’s time to start thinking about taking the decorations down and disposing of the waste. In these climate conscious times, more and more homeowners are putting more of an emphasis on the amount of waste their household produces – particularly over the Christmas period – and how this can be minimised as much as possible.

In recent years, ‘treecycling’ has become a popular way of disposing of Christmas trees – this article will look into how this works and the steps you need to take if you are looking to recycle your real Christmas tree once all the celebrations are over.

a real christmas tree in the wheelie bin

Why should I recycle my tree?

The millions of real trees ending up in landfill every year can create hundreds of thousands of tonnes of greenhouse gases which is having a significant impact on the environment. Recycling real trees can dramatically reduce this number, as they can be shredded into chippings or composed as an eco-friendly solution. Alternatively, you might choose to take the tree back to its roots by replanting it in your garden to prolong the festivities! If you do choose to replant the tree, make sure you place it in your garage or shed first so that it can acclimatise to the colder weather conditions, as exposing it to cold temperatures too quickly can seriously harm the tree.

It’s worth noting that artificial trees cannot be recycled as they are typically made of a PVC material which can’t be recycled using traditional methods. That said, artificial trees can be reused year after year, so you can keep the same tree for a longer period of time. When the time eventually comes to dispose of your artificial tree, you can do so by donating, reselling, or even repurposing into new Christmas decorations.

How can I recycle my real Christmas tree?

Typically, there are a number of tree recycling schemes organised by local councils across the country, so you can dispose of your real Christmas tree in the most environmentally-friendly way possible. This usually takes the form of dedicated drop-off points or collections for complete convenience – simply check your local council’s website to find out where and when you can recycle your real Christmas tree in January.

Alternatively, you can recycle your tree by chopping it up and disposing of it in your garden waste bin or taking it to the tip.

How can I prepare my Christmas tree to be recycled?

You must make sure all tinsel and decorations are removed, and any stands or pots are disposed of separately.

When should I throw away my real Christmas tree?

The signs of when to dispose of your real Christmas tree should be clear – it tends to be when the tree loses its smell and the needles on the branches begin to drop. This indicates that the tree is dry and it’s time to remove the tree from your property.

So, when recycling your cards, wrapping paper and food packaging once the festivities are over this Christmas, why not try treecycling at the same time? It’s a quick and easy way to reduce the carbon footprint and improve your green credentials.

Here at Artemis Tree Services, we specialise in all types of specialist tree work, from tree felling and pollarding to maintenance and tree surveys. Our commitment to the environment means that every tree we cut is turned into biomass for an eco-friendly solution. Additionally, we will chip and recycle any real trees dropped to our yard free of charge. For further information or to arrange an appointment, simply get in touch with our experienced team today.

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience...

More information I understand

5/ 5

Verified customer feedback

5 rating based on

565 reviews

Excellent

Pools Sritharan

Excellent service from the initial contact to completion. Professional ans polite at all times. Many thanks for this wonderful experience. Regards Pools Sritharan 18, The Avenue, Potters Bar.... Excellent service from the initial contact to completion. Professional ans polite at all times. Many thanks for this wonderful experience. Regards Pools Sritharan 18, The Avenue, Potters Bar.

1 week ago

Wendy Fry

Very pleased with work done to prune large sycamore tree. Detailed quote provided same day as Billy came to inspect and advise. All work was done promptly, safely with no mess whatsoever. Would defini... Very pleased with work done to prune large sycamore tree. Detailed quote provided same day as Billy came to inspect and advise. All work was done promptly, safely with no mess whatsoever. Would definitely recommend this firm. Very professional from start to finish.

3 weeks ago

Chris Pooley

If you require any tree work done I can certainly recommend Artemis. The estimator Billy was great to deal with professional and gave great advice. We required a Laurel and Holly tree to be reduced i... If you require any tree work done I can certainly recommend Artemis. The estimator Billy was great to deal with professional and gave great advice. We required a Laurel and Holly tree to be reduced in height and shaped and several leylandia trees at the back of the garden to be reduced in height and tidied up.A detailed quote was provided within 24 hours. On the day of the scheduled work the crew arrived on time and Tom and Charlie did a fantastic job very courteous and making sure everything was left nice and tidy. I would have no hesitation in contacting them for any future work required this is an extremely well run business.

3 weeks ago

Wendy Farrell

Great service from the get go. Surveyor was brilliant and took his time advising me on the best value for money for the job. The two guys in the day were fab! Not a leaf was left for me to tidy up. K... Great service from the get go. Surveyor was brilliant and took his time advising me on the best value for money for the job. The two guys in the day were fab! Not a leaf was left for me to tidy up. Kirstie Harvey in the office is a legend! Cannot recommend this company highly enough.

1 month ago

Kirk Teasdale

Delighted with the work carried out by what I can only describe as absolute gentlemen. They were prompt, courteous and considerate through out. Would definitely recommend.... Delighted with the work carried out by what I can only describe as absolute gentlemen. They were prompt, courteous and considerate through out. Would definitely recommend.

1 month ago

Mark Stafford

As a retired arborist myself I cannot give this company higher praise. Reasonable quote for the work and their climber was very proffessional and worked in a safe manner. Site was spotless when they l... As a retired arborist myself I cannot give this company higher praise. Reasonable quote for the work and their climber was very proffessional and worked in a safe manner. Site was spotless when they left. All in all a very pleasant experience.

1 month ago

Anonymous

Everything was great from start to finish I highly recommend Artemis. From the initial quotation to the reminders and then the text on the day to say they were on their way everything was perfect. T... Everything was great from start to finish I highly recommend Artemis. From the initial quotation to the reminders and then the text on the day to say they were on their way everything was perfect. The chaps onsite were great, very polite and incredibly tidy. I am very happy with the standard of work and would definitely recommend.

1 month ago

Nick Woolford

From the initial contact through to the finished work, everything has gone smoothly and professionally. The estimator came when he said he would, gave us meaningful and thoughtful suggestions. His d... From the initial contact through to the finished work, everything has gone smoothly and professionally. The estimator came when he said he would, gave us meaningful and thoughtful suggestions. His detailed estimate was produced within hours of his visit. Once we had accepted the estimate we received planned date for the work. On the day the workmen arrived when we were told they would. They were extremely co-operative, helpful and informative. The work procedure without a hitch with everything being competed to a high standard, and all the refuse removed, leaving the garden neat and tidy. We will have Artemis back later in the year to prune the fruit trees.

2 months ago

Anonymous

A fantastic service, at good reasonable prices with total clearace of the site upon completion. Couldn't ask for more....

3 months ago

Anonymous

Just had a tree removed in Ruislip Manor, the guys were done and dusted in just over an hour, I was expecting a mess that I'd have to clean up once they left. The guys ensured everything was spo... Just had a tree removed in Ruislip Manor, the guys were done and dusted in just over an hour, I was expecting a mess that I'd have to clean up once they left. The guys ensured everything was spotless when they left. We're all happy, but my Cat missing the tree!

3 months ago

Asarthan

Great job start to finish. All contact smooth and easy. The team listened to everything we wanted and pulled it off to perfection. Very neat and tidy too! Thank you very much!... Great job start to finish. All contact smooth and easy. The team listened to everything we wanted and pulled it off to perfection. Very neat and tidy too! Thank you very much!

3 months ago

Pete W

Another year of great service from start to finish - highly recommended...

3 months ago

Louise Leahy

Excellent service from the beginning, all lovely staff at every point and the work was carried out tidily and with consultation along the way. Very accommodating. Highly recommend and would use again.... Excellent service from the beginning, all lovely staff at every point and the work was carried out tidily and with consultation along the way. Very accommodating. Highly recommend and would use again.

3 months ago

Gordon Smith

I was impressed with your quotation service. The paperwork was excellent. The team arrived on time and carried out the job expertly and in accordance with our wishes. They were very professional and c... I was impressed with your quotation service. The paperwork was excellent. The team arrived on time and carried out the job expertly and in accordance with our wishes. They were very professional and communicated with us at all time. We were very impressed with the whole service from start to finish.

3 months ago

Pam Hawkins

Marcin & Mo arrived bang on time. We discussed the schedule of works supplied with the estimate and agreed what was to be done. They worked well as a team, and had finished 2 of the 3 trees by lu... Marcin & Mo arrived bang on time. We discussed the schedule of works supplied with the estimate and agreed what was to be done. They worked well as a team, and had finished 2 of the 3 trees by lunch time. The 3rd was completed and all the rubbish raked up, shredded and removed a few hours later. My neighbours were happy with the work as any overhang into their gardens had been removed. I would thoroughly recommend Artemis and in particular the team that did my work. The quality of the workmanship is well worth the cost.

3 months ago

John Taylor

I would definitely recommend Artemis. Very professional, courteous and efficient. They did the job with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience and cleared up carefully and thoroughly. Their reliability... I would definitely recommend Artemis. Very professional, courteous and efficient. They did the job with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience and cleared up carefully and thoroughly. Their reliability makes them well worth the fee charged.

4 months ago

Anonymous

Marcin and Charlie did a great job with the tree works - efficient and very professional!...

4 months ago

Christine Forrest

I've used Artemis for many decades. We've always found them professional, tidy, courteous, considerate and easy to have around. They might not be the cheapest, but are well worth it and I gu... I've used Artemis for many decades. We've always found them professional, tidy, courteous, considerate and easy to have around. They might not be the cheapest, but are well worth it and I guess you get what you pay for. I wouldn't use or recommend any other company.

4 months ago

Anonymous

Aston and Tom arrived on time and went through the work specified, both were polite and finished the job within a short space of time. I would recommend Artemis to anyone without hesitation.... Aston and Tom arrived on time and went through the work specified, both were polite and finished the job within a short space of time. I would recommend Artemis to anyone without hesitation.

4 months ago

M A Haffner

Very efficient and tree removal was completed on time and in budget. The site was cleaned up beautifully....

5 months ago

Alex Wyatt

They were fantastically efficient, professional & friendly....

5 months ago