Employee Profile: Tom Parriss

It’s not just about the trees, from apprentice to Team Leader, employee Tom Parriss is one of Artemis Tree Services’ biggest success stories.

Tom joined Artemis in October 2013 on the apprenticeship programme. The apprenticeship programme allows trainees to gain a nationally recognised qualification and learn skills on the job whilst earning a salary.

After working in a well know chain of coffee shops, Tom wanted to work outside and had seen Artemis teams out and about. “I used to look outside and dream of being outdoors myself. I saw tree surgeons working and though I would love to do that. I saw an advert for the apprenticeship at Artemis and decided to give it a go.”

After a successful interview, Tom was offered the job. With the support of a tutor and under the expert guidance out on site of Artemis Contracts Manager, Aaron Walsh, Tom completed his apprenticeship in 2014. On graduating he became a Trainee Climber and within 6 months was promoted to Lead Climber. “For me being up in the trees is the best part of the job. It’s exhilarating and I get a real buzz when I see the result of my work”.

Tom continued to scale the heights within Artemis and through his enthusiasm, drive and great team player skills he worked his way up to Team Leader within another 6 months. Tom now manages teams of 7-8 people, liaises with clients and trains new staff. He recognises himself in the apprentices that join Artemis and is able to guide them through the process as a graduate himself.
His inspirational work ethic, positive outlook and fair approach mean he’s popular with his colleagues too. Artemis run an “employee of the month” reward scheme, where staff vote for their most deserving colleague. Tom is a regular winner of the employee of the month cash prize.

Later this year Tom is hoping to travel with Artemis to visit a Botanical Garden in Bulgaria and is continuing to further his skills by studying for his Level 4 diploma in Arboriculture. “I wouldn’t ever go back to being a barrista,” says Tom. “Although it’s hard work in the winter, you can’t beat being outdoors in the spring. I work with some great lads and I look forward to going to work, finding out if I’m felling a tree or just reshaping – each day is different”.

Update 2020

Since we posted our profile on Tom in March 2017, he has gone from strength to strength within Artemis.

These days as well as leading teams on-site, Tom goes out quoting. Tom is the first point of contact for clients and assess their tree work needs, allocating teams and resources. Tom is also studying for his Level 4 Diploma in Arboriculture as part of his continuing professional development.

If you would be interested in joining Artemis we are always looking for good people to join the team – from experienced climbers to entry level apprentices. Send your CV and introductory email to office@artemistreeservices.com or fill out our contact form on our apprenticeship page.

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience...

More information I understand

5/ 5

Verified customer feedback

5 rating based on

559 reviews

Excellent

Anonymous

Everything was great from start to finish I highly recommend Artemis. From the initial quotation to the reminders and then the text on the day to say they were on their way everything was perfect. T... Everything was great from start to finish I highly recommend Artemis. From the initial quotation to the reminders and then the text on the day to say they were on their way everything was perfect. The chaps onsite were great, very polite and incredibly tidy. I am very happy with the standard of work and would definitely recommend.

2 weeks ago

Nick Woolford

From the initial contact through to the finished work, everything has gone smoothly and professionally. The estimator came when he said he would, gave us meaningful and thoughtful suggestions. His d... From the initial contact through to the finished work, everything has gone smoothly and professionally. The estimator came when he said he would, gave us meaningful and thoughtful suggestions. His detailed estimate was produced within hours of his visit. Once we had accepted the estimate we received planned date for the work. On the day the workmen arrived when we were told they would. They were extremely co-operative, helpful and informative. The work procedure without a hitch with everything being competed to a high standard, and all the refuse removed, leaving the garden neat and tidy. We will have Artemis back later in the year to prune the fruit trees.

1 month ago

Anonymous

A fantastic service, at good reasonable prices with total clearace of the site upon completion. Couldn't ask for more....

1 month ago

Anonymous

Just had a tree removed in Ruislip Manor, the guys were done and dusted in just over an hour, I was expecting a mess that I'd have to clean up once they left. The guys ensured everything was spo... Just had a tree removed in Ruislip Manor, the guys were done and dusted in just over an hour, I was expecting a mess that I'd have to clean up once they left. The guys ensured everything was spotless when they left. We're all happy, but my Cat missing the tree!

1 month ago

Asarthan

Great job start to finish. All contact smooth and easy. The team listened to everything we wanted and pulled it off to perfection. Very neat and tidy too! Thank you very much!... Great job start to finish. All contact smooth and easy. The team listened to everything we wanted and pulled it off to perfection. Very neat and tidy too! Thank you very much!

2 months ago

Pete W

Another year of great service from start to finish - highly recommended...

2 months ago

Louise Leahy

Excellent service from the beginning, all lovely staff at every point and the work was carried out tidily and with consultation along the way. Very accommodating. Highly recommend and would use again.... Excellent service from the beginning, all lovely staff at every point and the work was carried out tidily and with consultation along the way. Very accommodating. Highly recommend and would use again.

2 months ago

Gordon Smith

I was impressed with your quotation service. The paperwork was excellent. The team arrived on time and carried out the job expertly and in accordance with our wishes. They were very professional and c... I was impressed with your quotation service. The paperwork was excellent. The team arrived on time and carried out the job expertly and in accordance with our wishes. They were very professional and communicated with us at all time. We were very impressed with the whole service from start to finish.

2 months ago

Pam Hawkins

Marcin & Mo arrived bang on time. We discussed the schedule of works supplied with the estimate and agreed what was to be done. They worked well as a team, and had finished 2 of the 3 trees by lu... Marcin & Mo arrived bang on time. We discussed the schedule of works supplied with the estimate and agreed what was to be done. They worked well as a team, and had finished 2 of the 3 trees by lunch time. The 3rd was completed and all the rubbish raked up, shredded and removed a few hours later. My neighbours were happy with the work as any overhang into their gardens had been removed. I would thoroughly recommend Artemis and in particular the team that did my work. The quality of the workmanship is well worth the cost.

2 months ago

John Taylor

I would definitely recommend Artemis. Very professional, courteous and efficient. They did the job with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience and cleared up carefully and thoroughly. Their reliability... I would definitely recommend Artemis. Very professional, courteous and efficient. They did the job with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience and cleared up carefully and thoroughly. Their reliability makes them well worth the fee charged.

3 months ago

Anonymous

Marcin and Charlie did a great job with the tree works - efficient and very professional!...

3 months ago

Christine Forrest

I've used Artemis for many decades. We've always found them professional, tidy, courteous, considerate and easy to have around. They might not be the cheapest, but are well worth it and I gu... I've used Artemis for many decades. We've always found them professional, tidy, courteous, considerate and easy to have around. They might not be the cheapest, but are well worth it and I guess you get what you pay for. I wouldn't use or recommend any other company.

3 months ago

Anonymous

Aston and Tom arrived on time and went through the work specified, both were polite and finished the job within a short space of time. I would recommend Artemis to anyone without hesitation.... Aston and Tom arrived on time and went through the work specified, both were polite and finished the job within a short space of time. I would recommend Artemis to anyone without hesitation.

3 months ago

M A Haffner

Very efficient and tree removal was completed on time and in budget. The site was cleaned up beautifully....

3 months ago

Alex Wyatt

They were fantastically efficient, professional & friendly....

3 months ago

Helen Fraser

A superb team of three pruned back our huge Tree of Heaven, in appalling weather conditions (driving icy rain) and made sure that the branches fell so as to do minimum damage to our garden or our neig... A superb team of three pruned back our huge Tree of Heaven, in appalling weather conditions (driving icy rain) and made sure that the branches fell so as to do minimum damage to our garden or our neighbours'. Very impressed by the level of skill and the cheerfulness in such adverse conditions.

4 months ago

Anonymous

Great service, happy to reccommend....

4 months ago

P Turner

Artemis were such a clean-cut, well-mannered and chirpy bunch that you might think they have turned up to host antiques roadshow on your front lawn as opposed to cutting your trees down. Simon is a su... Artemis were such a clean-cut, well-mannered and chirpy bunch that you might think they have turned up to host antiques roadshow on your front lawn as opposed to cutting your trees down. Simon is a superstar veteran of the tree world, and whilst you might not be lucky enough to get a personal appearance from him, you can be sure that everyone of his team is hand picked by him and moulded to his exacting standards. They perform their death-defying work with lighting efficiency and razor-sharp precision, they clear up and clean up and check you are happy with everything, and you’re left feeling like you stepped out of the cinema when you were a kid after watching the Superman movie. The only thing I would say is missing is a dance routine and song.

4 months ago

Anonymous

From the beginning to the end of the process, I was very pleased with the professional approach of this company. I felt confident that the work would be well carried out and was, indeed, very pleased... From the beginning to the end of the process, I was very pleased with the professional approach of this company. I felt confident that the work would be well carried out and was, indeed, very pleased with final result. I have used the company before and there is a consistently high quality serve offered. Thank you

5 months ago

Derek

Prompt, professional, polite, knowledgeable and very tidy. Marcin, Mo and Cameron make a great team....

5 months ago

Mike Fretwell

Excellent work at a reasonable price. Workers were punctual & very professional, did a great job and left the garden clean & tidy. They had all the right equipment and safety gear. This is t... Excellent work at a reasonable price. Workers were punctual & very professional, did a great job and left the garden clean & tidy. They had all the right equipment and safety gear. This is the second time we used them and i would recommend them highly. Mike Fretwell.

5 months ago